HOPEWELL JUNCTION, N.Y. – A fast-moving blaze that took the lives of an unknown number of game birds in Hopewell Junction Sunday was likely caused by heat lamps, fire officials said.
Beekman Fire District Chief Tom Kinsley said Monday that the fire destroyed a chicken coop at a home at 1223 Beekman Road.
Inside the small shed, which was located about 50 feet from a house, there were quail and pigeons, Kinsley said.
It’s possible that a few of the birds “escaped,” he said, but it looks like most perished.
A person renting the house was asleep at the time the fire broke out but was roused by a neighbor, who called firefighters to the scene around 5:35 p.m.
Responding were crews from the Beekman, Union Vale, and LaGrange fire departments. LaGrange sent a tanker, but it was called back en route.
The structure was fully involved when firefighters arrived, Kinsley said.
The flames were put out in about 30 minutes and there were no injuries among the firefighters, he added.
The wooden coop, and its avian residents, however, were lost.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.