It’s no secret that the Hudson Valley is home to some of the state’s best schools, but those schools require well-compensated educators.
Citing data from the New York State Teachers’ Retirement System, which makes the salary of public school educators public, NewYorkUpstate.com released a report listing the top salaries.
The report investigated all public high schools in upstate New York, with private, charter, alternative and religion-affiliated schools omitted. Only school districts from upstate - north of Westchester and Rockland counties - were used for the report.
Teachers with the highest salary and other compensation from the area are:
Dutchess County (sixth highest staff costs in upstate New York):
- David Gatta - $150,150.86 - Arlington High School (Arlington Central School District);
- Carol Salvas - $149,377.62 - J. V. Forrestal Elementary School (Beacon City School District);
- Georgina Murphy - $148,190.02 - Rombout Middle School (Beacon City School District).
Putnam County (third overall):
- Amanda Lynne - $173,072.28 - Carmel High School (Carmel Central School District);
- Denise Maslak - $172,469.35 - Brewster High School (Brewster Central School District);
- George Coates - $171,344.30 - Carmel High School (Carmel Central School).
Orange County (second, behind only Erie County:
- Katrina Kiernan - $186,482.66 - Washingtonville High School (Washingtonville Central School District);;
- Robert Karchawer - $178,622.12 - Goshen High School (Goshen Central School District)
- Bernadette Saladino - $176,081.17 - Newburgh Free Academy (Newburgh City School District).
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.